Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Behind



Oh my, do I need to update or what?? I guess we just haven't done anything postable lately. We are currently going through Exodus in the bible and studying history in 1400-1800's. We just finished Columbus and will now transition to California Native Americans. We read a great book called, The Tainos, the First People to Greet Columbus. Very interesting. Sad in many ways. Even though I know that we didn't have anything to do with how this country was founded, I can't help but feel pangs of guilt for those who were pushed off and out of their land. Grace was able to make the connection of what it would be like if that happened to us. When I read the book and about how the Tainos were required to prepare a tribute (gold dust or other valuables) or the Spainiards would enslave them, I thought of A Bug's Life. That is what the grasshopppers did to the poor ants, requiring them to prepare a food tribute for them... or else! Unfortunately, the Tainos didn't fair as well as the Ants. Today not one traceable person can be called a true Taino. Anyway, it was very interesting as this is the most investigating I have done on Columbus since we started homeschooling. But that's okay because I think at this age they are able to understand more than they would've years before. This is definitely not the story I heard about Columbus when I was in school!


I'm looking forward to learning about the Californian Native Americans. We have local information here and we will also look at the development of the missions. That's interesting timing because my nephew, who is also in 4th grade, started studying missions this year, too, at his school. It'll be fun to compare notes! We are close to several missions and have visited one in Sonoma, but there are others that would be fun to visit. The one in Santa Barbara actually has an adobe called the Covarrubias adobe! I have a picture with David standing under it somewhere. Here is one from the Sonoma mission that we visited last year.

There was a lot going on there that day because a school was visiting. They invited the girls to weave a basket, but they were also cooking, making candles and bead jewelry. I would like to plan this for our homeschool group in the future.
Well, that's all I have time for today! Hope you enjoy the update!


No comments: